After completing this unit you should be able to:
- Define the key words introduced in this lesson and use them appropriately in agricultural writing.
- Use relative pronouns in compound sentences.
- Discuss issues related to polyculture in your country or region using the vocabulary and grammar that you have learned.
This section introduces the important words (key and technical vocabulary) that will be used in the lesson. You should be sure that you understand these terms before you continue to the
alternatively (adv.) - on the other hand, doing something a different way
alternative (n) - a differant choice
- I don't want to do it this way. Is there another alternative?
- You can park here on alternate days, i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Friday; or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
- You can start next week. Alternatively, you could start tomorrow.
arrange (v) - to put things in a system
- Please arrange the chairs so that everyone can see.
- This is not a good arrangement. Let's do it a different way.
dominate (v) - to be the strongest, to control
- He is not strong. He is dominated by his wife.
- English is the dominant second language in many countries.
intermingle (v) - to mix, to put together with no system
- At the party, people from different countries intermingled with each other.
- He sang French songs intermingled with English ones.
mature (adj.) - old enough, ripe enough, (for fruit) ready to be eaten, sufficiently developed
maturity (n) - the age at which someone/something is fully developed
- When will these plants mature?
- Only pick the mature fruits.
- It will take 20 years for these trees to grow to maturity.
multiply (v) - to increase many times
multiplication (n) - process of increasing many times
- He has been in hospital many times and had multiple operations.
- Tests where you can choose from many possible answers are called multiple choice tests.
relay(v) - to move something forward
- Can you relay this information to the Director?
- The computer will hold the information for 5 minutes and then relay it to another site.
- Rice is usually planted in straight rows.
- We sat in the third row of the meeting room.
- What are the short-term objectives?
- I think this will be successful over the short-term, but later we will have to think of another alternative.
simultaneous (adj.) - at the same time
- Can you walk and read simultaneously?
- At the sports competition, the men's and women's games will be held simultaneously.
- All the experiments were conducted within the same farmer's fields.
- Please try to finish this within 3 days.
buckwheat (Fagopyrum esculenium) - plant grown for its triangular seeds. It is a native of central
peas (Pisum) - leguminous plant with pinkish flowers and green seed pod. Its small, round seeds are used as a vegetable.
perennial - lasting a long time (in plants: living for more than two years)
soybean (Glycine max) - annual leguminous crop native to
oats (Avena sativa) - common cereal plant with edible seeds grown throughout the temperate zone.